Thursday 6 February 2014

In Which Love Creeps Up

Dear Santa,

Alright. You caught me. I may have said some pretty rotten things to you last time we talked, but I had no idea this is what you'd bring me for the holidays. I figured with Mom and Dad gone and just Vincent around, things might get a little awkward. Maybe he wouldn't actually like me. Maybe he'd be so busy with all the things happening in his life that we'd pass like ghosts through the halls of the freshly painted house. Maybe I'd be too boring, too ordinary.

Nothing really special had ever happened to me until I moved here. Even then, I think if I had just kept my head down and avoided these guys I would have been fine. I could have just been Robin Winthorpe. I could've just been a new transfer student and waited out the novelty of that. Too little, too late. Hindsight is great that way.

But what better way to forget your woes then to run away from everything with your crush? I can't remember if it was my idea or Vincent's, but at the time, it seemed like the best one. Just leave everything behind. It was so much like my parent's idea to move here, and with them gone, really I saw no reason not to go. His family, or rather, he had a cabin somewhere cold, snowy, and with plenty of slopes to ski on. So without anyone but ourselves, we went.

I wish I could encourage gossip, but we talked about it and it's really just better if there isn't gossip. So let's just say we talked--a lot. About our pasts, about what we want to do with our lives, about our families. He cooked. We went skiing. It's the first time I've ever really felt like I could talk to someone without having to worry that I might say the wrong thing. Especially with the way he looks at me. He seems so afraid that something'll happen to me, that I'll crack under the pressure of the world he's dragged me into.

You can't really say you know someone to the point of fully knowing all their secrets, because everyone has a past and everyone has things they don't want you to know, stuff they're not proud of. But I think we're getting there. I trust him. I guess I really meant it when I said yes to that question he asked me. It seems like a life time ago all that happened. But they say everything happens for a reason so I have to believe he's that reason.

I'm not really sure how to reassure him. But I will say it was the nicest Christmas I've had since I was little. There was a simple dinner that he made. I played some music. And we didn't talk about Samael, or Loki, or Israel, or Chantel, or Robin Red Cap. None of them came up. It was everything I could have wanted, with lots of tense moments we tried to laugh away or push aside. I guess it's inevitable, but I just think we should wait. Wait until we need to be reminded of how amazing the world can be. And with school starting soon again, I guess that might be sooner than planned.

Either way, Santa, thanks. I really have to say you knocked this one out of the park. And even if my life is never normal again, because let's face it, being with Vincent pretty much guarantees that my life will never, ever be average, I think it's worth it. Guess I'm ready to leap, feet first, and fall into the rabbit hole. Too many mixed metaphors?

Merry Christmas
- Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment