Tuesday 6 May 2014

In Which A Boy's Life Reforms

Dear Diary,

Everything I’ve ever thought or felt about this life is in this diary. You hold everything. Literally everything. And Vincent’s journal held all of his past life. Part of me wanted to protect him from the truth, to hide what he was from him. He didn’t need to know everything. He just needed basics. And that he should stay away from me.

It took all my control not to choke him. But I couldn’t help but hit him. He always wanted me to be stronger, to be capable, to be a girl who wasn’t afraid. Well, I was her now, and he was the thing that went bump in the night. He tried to distract me, tell me my mom was alive. Hell, he even tried to hand me a card with a phone number to call to talk to her. I lost it. How dare he talk about her? I had told him when I broke up with him that if he came near my family I'd kill him. Threats were useless unless you meant them. And I knew I had meant it.

I just kept hitting him. I knew Leanne was just smiling and watching. She had probably planned this, but for some reason Vincent didn’t fight back. Tears slid down my face. I wanted to scream at him, but the sounds just stayed inside. Then something snapped inside of him and his demeanor changed. He turned and left, leaving the journals behind. I knew I had triggered something dark but I didn’t care. If I saw him again I would probably end up killing him. I didn’t want to. But I wasn’t sure I could control myself.

Then I turned to Leanne and asked her if she would bring my brother back. She asked for the bracelet first and I said no, not until Jack was back and human. Human was key. And then she shrugged and did it, just like that. Jack opened the door and walked outside like he had never left. My tears of rage became tears of relief. He was back. I had done it. Everything I had worked so hard for had paid off, finally. Something had gone right.

I ran and hugged him and tried to answer his questions as best I could. I told him mom was gone. But dad was still here. That we lived in Canada. I have no idea what it’ll mean that Jack’s back, but I don’t care. I gave Leanne her stupid bracelet and let her go to Chantel, where I knew a trap was waiting. I wasn’t going to go. I needed to stay with Jack. I need to protect him. I need to make sure he has a normal life now. There was so much to tell and not to tell. I didn’t know what to do. I knew I needed to talk to Chantel.


I sent her a text and then saw Israel drive by. I called him and we had an argument about Vincent’s journal. I finally agreed and handed him Vincent’s old journal. It’s on Israel then. He can be the one to answer for it all. I’m not responsible anymore. I’m not that Robin. I’m not that girl. I’m a new person now and she’s done with all this. It’s time to take care of my family and do whatever necessary to keep them safe. I can’t keep failing them.

Listen

No comments:

Post a Comment