Sunday 4 May 2014

In Which A Rescue is a Waste

Dear Diary,

Caleb and I got in my car and raced to wherever the hell Vincent’s text said he was. My heart was racing and yet I felt strangely calm. I knew Natalie wouldn’t hurt him and he was likely over reacting, but that itching rage inside of me was pushing against the human. It wanted out. It wanted me to pull over and stab Caleb repeatedly, to kill Chantel, to destroy Ardath. It wanted to hunt the supernaturals around me and make bloody scenes of their death.

I had to concentrate to be able to drive. I’m not sure what’s happening to me, but I know I need to fight it. Maybe this is what they mean by the curse of the Hunter. Maybe I should have read the back of the cereal box before opening it and searching for its prize. But I didn’t and now I have the deadly weapons and power and these urges. I wonder if this is what serial killers feel like, the compulsion to kill battling within them for control.

As we arrived I took a deep breath, only to breathe in Caleb’s scent. Wild and woodsy, that hint of his beast within beneath the carefully groomed boy sitting beside me. I’ve become so used to his eyes on me that it doesn’t surprise me anymore when I see him gazing at me. I almost like it. There’s a kindness in him I haven’t seen in anyone else. I trust him. Honestly, I didn’t think I could trust someone again. But things are changing.

The house was fantastic to see as we pulled up. In quiet unison we got out of our vehicles and approached, only to see Vincent run outside from one of the buildings. I couldn’t help it. Bile rose in my throat as I saw him and yet my heart gave a jump. Would it ever feel normal to see him? He looked panicked and a girl walked behind him. And then he started barking orders. Same old Vincent.

The girl turned out to be a new girl named Eve. Or Galatea. Or something. We call her Eve. She’s strange in a weird way. I’m guessing home schooled but I’m not really sure. But she definitely seems to not understand high school. Or people. I’m going to guess she isn’t human, given the company she and her dad keep, but I can’t make judgment calls.


We left Natalie’s estate and went to a burger joint up the road. There Chantel and I left the arguing boys to go to the bathroom and I asked her about the bracelet and told her that Leanne wanted it. She reacted a lot better than I thought she would. Instead of being pissed she said she wanted to come up with a plan to make Leanne a mortal. And I said yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment