Wednesday 29 January 2014

In Which The Dragon Sinks Its Claws In

Dear Diary,

Of course I said yes. Somewhere, deep inside of me, I did trust him. He had stood in the way of Loki. He had gotten me out of there. He had warned me about the Robin guy, weirdly enough. And now that I knew Loki was a monster, I wondered what else was happening in the world that I needed to know. I wondered what else he knew.

Once I said yes, Vincent said he had to tell me some things. But the conversation took a weird turn when he started asking if I wanted to be protected, forever. He said he wouldn't let anything happen to me. That if I trusted him and did what he asked, then I'd be safe. We'd be safe. He said it would hurt. He said it would make sure that things like Loki wouldn't hurt me. And I believe him. So I said okay.

He showed me this dragon tattoo on his back, and explained that it gave him power. It gave him almost anything he wanted, but there was a price. I really didn't ask questions. The world felt so surreal. I figured we'd get in the car and head to some weird parlour. Honestly, I was ready to dye my skin blue and call myself Violet if it meant I'd be safe. A tattoo wasn't a big deal as long as I would be safe. The cold fear inside of me felt like it might start creeping away if what he said was true.

And then he took out a piece of metal and began to heat it up. Sure. He was going to brand me. I had already agreed at this point, but I wasn't really ready to be burned. Still, I didn't back out, and somehow the burn on the back of my neck is proof that I let him do it. I'm not going to lie. I hope to hell I can trust him.

So a brand and a few long glances later, Vincent and I began to head to his house. Where I guess he had a few more things to tell me, or show me. Honestly, I thought it might've been a bit of a play to get me to his house, but when we got there, he was actually a perfect gentleman. His house was a mess. It's like his family didn't ever bother to pick up anything.

But he walked me up to this study with a kitchenette and little cot. Honestly, I think he sleeps there. Not at all what anyone thinks the Godfrieds are like. Once in there he shows me this old book, in some old language I'm not quite familiar with, and begins to tell me this story about his ancestor being a Knight Templar. All of his men were killed so he made a deal with a demon.. dragon... thing... to get revenge and live on. But he was old and he didn't survive long, and the curse passed on to his first born son.

Apparently the dragon tattoo will keep growing and eventually kill him. His mother died in childbirth giving birth to the first born son, and that's just how things go in his family. He kind of laughed when I bothered to ask if anyone had tried to cure them. It's been 700 years. I guess they've tried. But still. He shouldn't belong to some creature. Which I guess I now belong to too. The brand on the back of my neck burns every time I think of it.

Vincent then offered me some tea and asked about me. I might've asked a few questions about everything. I found out that Israel is an angel... as in God and heaven and what not. That Loki is a spider, which was somewhat obvious. That Ardath was an ancient pharaoh or something. And that some girl named Chantelle is some sort of ancient god. I'm not really sure how the angel feels about that. I mean Israel.

I guess I told him a bit about myself. I can't say I told him the truth though. I told him that I had a nice normal family. That I was an only child. That life was pretty good. I guess compared to having a time bomb on my back, just waiting to kill me, it is a pretty normal life. But I can't tell him what happened. It's just better to not. Not right now, anyways.

And then as we kept getting closer, and I thought things might start getting a little more.. intimate... a knock came at the door. Vincent took out a dagger and told me about some secret staircase. I don't know when this became normal. It was Israel at the door and some girl, Chantelle. The god. Who told me my tiny mind couldn't handle the truth about what she was.

I think she was right.


No comments:

Post a Comment