Thursday 30 January 2014

Tis the Season for Reflection and Mayhem

Dear Santa,

I would say that I've been a good girl this year, except you and I both know that it's a lie. I haven't been a good girl in a few years, at least, so let's just skip the false pretences and acknowledge that I've been trying, okay? I left that world behind. The one where I was bad. I was promised a fresh start, after all, but here we are, and it doesn't seem you held up your end of the bargain.

Or I should say, at least, you have a really interesting sense of a humour. When last I bothered to check in with you, my almost-maybe boyfriend's house had just been burned down after Israel killed Loki all because I played a stupid prank at school. Yeah. I haven't forgotten whose fault that is. There isn't a day that goes by where I don't blame myself for what happened to him. If there's one thing I've learned in my brief history with things that are... different.. it's that they're not all bad, and some of them are even good. I don't think Loki deserved what happened. And I know Israel feels the same.

But as the semester closed out and we all went on our merry to get our Ho Ho Ho's on, I couldn't help but feel that the world had changed. I went to sleep that night knowing the world was a dark, scary, and twisted place where gods went to high school with reawakened pharaohs and fallen angels. And when I woke up, Vincent was down the hall in a guest room and my neck was still branded. None of it disappeared. Just Loki's body.

It turns out Mom didn't really plan on celebrating Christmas this year. Not really surprising given last year, but I didn't think she'd want to just skip out on the entire holiday all together. So her and Dad have packed their things and headed south like the geese I see around here. While I was offered (and expected) to go, I opted to stay home, instead. Mom wouldn't even consider staying. She's been acting a little strange, almost like... well... maybe it's just getting harder for her to accept.

I guess that means it'll just be Vincent and I over the holidays. I haven't really told Mom or Dad anything. I figured why poke a sleeping dragon or dog or something like that. It's probably just better for everyone if they think he's just a friend. A rich friend with a good name who lost his house in a terrible tragedy. But at least my neck is healing pretty nicely. And somehow I passed my exams and midterms. I'll chalk it up to being good at cramming and just leave it at that.

So Santa, I'm interested to see what you'll bring me for Xmas. A pony? A "cure" for Vincent? Some burn cream? A way to get Loki's voice out of my head whenever I fall asleep? A one-way ticket to the looney bin? Honestly, I'd just settle for a little peace and quiet. And maybe a kitten. The house is so quiet now.


No comments:

Post a Comment