Wednesday 29 January 2014

In Which A Spider's Love Bite Only Hits Air

Dear Diary,

Sometimes, when you're waiting or bored, time seems to slow to an incredible crawl. I find this also applies when you're terrified. There was a moment where I made a choice. You know how much I love saying that. But I do truly believe that we know those moments, those defining seconds where we make a choice that might change our lives. When I went to Tobias to make that stupid video about Loki, I knew I was making one of those choices. But I still said yes.

As I stood there and watched the TV play the excellent video, designed purely to knock Loki down a few pegs, I felt like there was a precipice I was standing on. The world's mysteries were about to open up. I had no idea how much they would devour me. His anger and his rage just kept brewing and then there was a monster there.

The next few minutes just seemed to come to a slow boil and torment me. I barely remember grabbing my phone, dialling 911 for help. I can't tell you if I spoke to a man or a woman. I remember Vincent moving in front of me, pushing me back, and talking to the spider-creature-thing. At some point, my phone was taken from me and I remember being on the floor with Clarissa and Heather.

Then suddenly the world began to move again and be faster and there was Israel coming down from his women problems only to fall over himself, pants down and all. The Loki-monster began to laugh, a grotesque sound, and slowly change back. A car door slammed somewhere. People were still tangled in weird web things. Everything was moving and I stood up. I could hear my heart beat in my ears. I've never felt terror like that. Not really. Not even when... well, that doesn't matter.

Vincent was in front of me and asked if I wanted to leave. I could hear my mom's voice or maybe I saw her. I don't really remember how, but I knew my mom and some chick had shown up and it was either try to talk to her and tell her we had to move or get out of there. Maybe it was the way he looked at me, or the way he had just tried to protect me, but I knew I could trust him. I knew he just wanted me safe.

We got into his car and just drove. I didn't know where we were going. Why would I? I've lived here long enough to know very specific places and nothing else. But I could barely think of what had happened because, whatever it was about him, I could only really wonder why Vincent was being so nice and why he had been talking to the Loki-monster like he knew him. Like this was normal. Like this was just life in Canada.

He went really quiet, lost in his head, I guess. If I had known him better maybe I would've asked what he was thinking about. I might have talked to him about what had happened. But the silence was heavy with questions I didn't want to ask yet, and it was comfortable, I guess. Because once you ask one question you can't stop. They'll just keep coming.

When we finally got to some park, we got out and he opened the trunk and then asked me a question that I think might have changed my life.

He said to me "Do you trust me?"
And I don't know why. But I said yes.


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where did you two go? The party wasn't even finished yet? I guess you thought you were pretty funny Robin. Sit tight, I'll find you soon enough. This city is my web and you're a fly to something like me....

    ReplyDelete