Sunday 16 March 2014

In Which A Choice of Love is Made

Dear Diary,

The troll seemed refreshed, really, to be out of that place below. This was a creature who was bigger than a truck tucked into a small body. Big compared to me, but small compared to his true form. I wondered if he felt compressed and tight, if human skin was uncomfortable. But he seemed satisfied as he smiled looking around.

Then I asked him if he was going to hurt people, if he was going to kill people. He said he might. I asked him not. I asked him to promise not to. He smiled at me in that way the fae do, as I’m learning, when there’s a potential deal. He said he would promise not to kill anyone if he was the first person I called when I did want to kill someone. I made the deal.

I went to the school, grabbed the keys from Chantel’s locker, and went to her car. Caleb was busy talking with Dean, who looked pretty damn good for a guy who had been set on fire… today? Yesterday? I don’t know. Some time ago. I called Vincent, wanting to know where he was. He answered, but sounded really strange. I heard someone cry for help in the background. A horrible sickening feeling hit my stomach and I knew I had to get home.

 Caleb and he shared a few words and then Caleb got in the car. As we were about to pull out, a bunch of people on motorcycles surrounded the car. I didn’t have time for this. I was exhausted, broken, and feeling like death was coming for me at any minute. So I took off. Maybe not the bet idea in Chantel’s car but I did it anyways. Eventually the cops made a blockade and I pulled over. Soon as the officer talked to me I broke down. I cried. I whimpered. I explained about being scared and frightened and just a girl. Just. A. Girl.

The cop offered to drive me to my house, one whole stupid block away, and I said okay. He drove Caleb and I there. As we got near the house, the window was broken and the door was open. I got out and ran inside, only to see Vincent with a knife, laughing. My mother was on the floor in the kitchen, bleeding out from what was looking like a stab wound.

It felt like all the air had gone out of me. Like a vacuum had sucked all the air out of the room. Or a bomb had gone off beside me and I couldn’t hear anymore. Time crawled to a flashpoint stand still, like it had when Loki had become a spider creature. Vincent was going to kill my mother. It was the only thought I could hear in my head. I had to stop him. I had to do anything I could. And then he smiled at me and in a voice I had never heard before said “Hello beautiful. Welcome home.”

The coldness inside me turned into an icy resolve and I moved and hit him. He laughed at me, then pushed me aside and went for my mom. Something pushed Caleb back from my mom as he was trying to help her and then he broke free in time to leap onto Vincent and knock him to the ground. He cried out and then passed out.

Everything inside me was racing. I ran to my mom’s side and began to apply what first aid I knew. The bleeding was intense and she looked awful, already unconscious. Thank god the police were there. They managed to get mom to into an ambulance quickly, and Vincent too since he was so bloody and bruised.

I knew it was Samael that had taken over his body. I knew he had done something to try to find me and Samael had won the fight of wills. I knew this was my fault and I felt powerless. All of this was my fault. My mother could die because of me. Vincent could give his body to Samael because of me. Without even thinking twice about it, I crawled into the back of the ambulance with Vincent and rode to the hospital with him. I couldn’t believe I had chosen so easily between my mom and my boyfriend. But it was a decision I wasn’t going to forget.


No comments:

Post a Comment