Tuesday 11 March 2014

In Which A Story Is Woven

Dear Diary,

Remember when I mentioned I knew where the fairies lived? Well. I had no idea how right I was. I know Leanne used magic to get us here. To open that door into her realm. But I also knew it was the same place I had been with Red Cap. That same place with the vines that fed on blood and doors that held monsters behind them. Whether Leanne was trying to trap Chantel or keep me here for punishment, I had no idea what to do.

Leanne smiled and laughed and looked beautiful and horrible and victorious. I don’t really understand the thing with Chantel and her that’s going on but Leanne seemed to think she had won some fight. And then the awful truth was revealed: we were stuck here forever. In her realm, with her people. The cuts on my arms from the vines were still fresh and red and I tried not to let the obvious fear show on my face.

Then Leanne vanished and we were left alone in the underground fae world. We started walking, trying to find a way to the court, because Chantel mentioned something about fairies liking being challenged. Which I guess means we’re going to challenge her to something. I’m not really sure what because this is all so bizarre. Just like every other day here, it seems.

Caleb ran off once he saw a pool of water with a moon changing phases rapidly above it. I guess the fairy dust I blew on him will wash off if he bathes in a pool under a new moon. It’s random and bizarre, but I guess that’s how fairies tend to work. We followed only to see a large troll guarding the bridge. Caleb said something about goats and the troll laughed, which gave him the chance to get down to the pool.

Chantel and I decided to try something other than running away, and we managed to convince the troll to let us tell him a story each in exchange for the right to walk across the bridge to the court. He also asked for one portion of the fairy dust that I had acquired. I gave it to him, and we sat down and began to tell him stories. Here’s what I decided to tell him:

Once upon a time there was a great and clever King. He had two children, a son and a daughter. They were clever children and all the King said he could ever want. And then the great King discovered magic, for his kingdom never had magic before and had existed as a quiet but clever land.

The first time the King felt the touch of magic, he thought the world he had known was small and incomplete, and knew that from now on he would want the beauty and power that magic brought. And so he kept finding more and more magic ot have in his life.

His children grew concerned for the king, for his obsession had begun to warp their kingdom into something ugly and dangerous, but the king’s blindness could not let him see what was happening to his people and his children. One day, the young prince demanded that the King stop inviting magic into the kingdom.

The king, in a rage from his son’s disobedience, struck the boy and banished his children from the land. The princess and the prince fled, living as paupers in a nearby kingdom, where the news of their father’s madness continued to spread. Soon, non would venture to the kingdom for fear of the king’s contempt.

Finally, the prince could stand no more and went to confront his father the King. He went to the palace late at night, and even though he asked his sister, the princess, to come with him, she would not, but waited impatiently for his return. The prince never returned. In the morning, news of the Prince’s death in the palace reached the land and the kingdom mourned.

The King, aghast at what his son had sacrificed to make him realize his own destruction, banished the magic he had gained from the kingdom and welcomed the grief stricken princess back. And while the King and the Princess pretended everything was normal and good again, the kingdom was ruined and never the same after.


I didn’t really mean to tell him a fairy tale about my life. Not really, anyways. At least I didn’t say they moved to a new kingdom and pretended that none of it ever happened. That the princess started calling herself an only child to go along with the stupid story her parents came up with so that no one would ask questions or investigate what happened. Suicide. Right.

I can’t tell you how we’re going to get out of this shit show. Vincent’s powers are gone. I stopped him. Caleb’s wolf form is back but I don’t think that’s any use against a fairy queen. Chantel doesn’t seem to know what to do either other than challenge her. Israel’s been arrested. And I know we can’t count on Ardath for anything but more trouble. I guess if it comes down to it I could always sacrifice myself to Leanne for punishment if it means Chantel and Caleb get out. At least some of us will make it out alive then. At least Chantel will be okay.


No comments:

Post a Comment