Monday 31 March 2014

In Which The Emptiness Swallows All

Dear Diary,

I watched as the man I loved became a stranger. Tobias finished a spell where we all gave something important and then Vincent was free of Samael. Of everything Samael. The book turned to ash and the world turned back to what it would have been if Samael had never had his grasp on the Godfrieds. Only Vincent was the only one who didn’t remember.

There were so many emotions in me I couldn’t breathe. I was drowning in my own relief and sadness and betrayal and sickness. It took me only seconds after to realize that we wouldn’t be together, not really, ever again. He wouldn’t remember the burn on my neck, the way he stabbed my mother, the first time we were together, the Christmas we spent laughing, or the fact that I had given him everything I had to give. My body was shaking. I watched Israel begin to help Vincent to the bed and I grabbed the cement block that was Samael and took off. There was no way my skin could be in that church any longer.

Darkness had crept into the sky by the time I made it to the post office. In my bag I had Vincent’s journal, the cement block of Samael, and anything I had to take that would remind Vincent of Samael’s being. That meant letters I had written to him, and the couple songs I had recorded for him. It was all there. I wrote a simple note with just my initial on it and taped it to the cement block before I mailed it, despite the fortune in shipping it cost, to Natalie. I wanted her to know I had done something. I wanted her to know she had pissed the wrong girl off. I wanted her to know I would kill her if she drove me to it, if she dared to come near him again.

Then I drove to the school. Only because I didn’t want to go home. For the last while I had been staying at Caleb’s sometime, given his lack of parents, but even that didn’t seem like a place I could go after today. He looked at me with so much tenderness and all I could give him was the emptiness I had inside of me. I showed him how much I loved Vincent, even when he wasn’t asking for anything in return, and I felt disgusted with myself for leading him on.

For awhile I sat in the dark in the parking lot on the hood of the car and watched the tree near where the fairy circle was. I wasn’t really looking at it, not really. I was just listening to the sounds of night around me. I don’t know how much time passed as my thoughts ran back and forth to Vincent and my mother. My hands had power now. I could hurt things. I could kill things. I had made the deal. I had given up the only person I had loved other than Vincent to get it.

For days I had been avoiding the truth. That three days before my mother’s funeral I had sat beside her and injected a syringe into her IV tube. Dad had always talked about killing himself on his binges. I had listened, terrified, but something of it had come back to me when I had read the book of hunters. You see, to become a hunter, you have to give a sacrifice for the power. I think somehow the hunters in the past didn’t have many loved ones left, so they killed someone they thought the world wouldn’t miss. Me? I had a mother in intensive care who had a real chance of never waking up. So I did exactly as my neurosurgeon father had said he would kill himself and I did to my own fucking mother. I knew dad wouldn’t order an autopsy. Why would he? She was dying, mostly.

It didn’t take long for her heart to stop. I held her hand and told her I loved her and begged her to forgive me. At the last moment I changed my mind, pulled the call bell, said her heart rate was dropping. They tried to help her. Tried to resuscitate her once she had faded, but they couldn’t help her. The doctor called the time and I threw up before I collapsed on the floor. I just remember waking up at home. I don’t really know what happened between A and B. I just know I killed my mother. And I did it for the power to kill Samael.

But I didn’t use it. My friends killed Samael. It was a sacrifice I never had to make. I killed her for fucking nothing. She died because I was stupid and selfish and didn’t know what I was doing and made the worst mistake of my life. But now she’s dead and Vincent doesn’t remember me and there’s nothing left. Nothing. As I sat on top of the car all I could think about was the great void I had laid out before myself. And then I threw up again and got back inside. Once inside I screamed. And screamed some more. I let the rage and the fear and the tattered bits of me that were left pour out in sound until there was nothing left and I felt empty and raw inside.

Hours passed before I felt anything other than the numbness that had eaten my body. Using my journal, I wrote Vincent a letter and tucked it into his journal. I broke into the school. I took a shower in the girl’s locker room, got dressed, and then went home. My dad wasn’t there. I prayed Jack wasn’t. As though I couldn't see it anymore without it burning me, I shoved Vincent's journal behind the painting in my room then collapsed onto the bed. And I fell into a sleep like none I had had before. The kind of sleep I imagine dead people have. At least I don’t dream anymore.


No comments:

Post a Comment