Tuesday 4 March 2014

In Which A Rotten Deal is Struck

Dear Diary,

There is a place near the school that the fairies call home. It’s within a circle on the ground of stones. I only know this because that’s where Robin Red Cap asked me to meet him. Everyone I know is a monster. They’ve driven each other to kill, to hurt, to destroy one another. It has to stop. I have to stop them. If they keep going down these roads, then they’ll never come back. They’ll never be able to keep their humanity alive.

I know that Vincent has warned me repeatedly against Robin Red Cap. I saw the two of them get in a fight where both ended up bleeding from each other. Last time, I had barely managed to pull Vincent away. If he knew where was I headed, I knew he would stop me. They all would. Israel had nothing good to say about Red Cap either. But all the warnings and their fear or anger wasn’t as important as what they were doing and becoming. So I met him where he asked.

He told me there would be a price. And I said fine. I said whatever and agreed to whatever price he could want for me. I would promise if he asked me, but I think he knew from the look in my eyes that I was dead serious. There was little negotiation. Just enough that I knew I was doing something wrong, but not enough to make me really stop and consider.

Until we were suddenly in his world.  Beneath the earth, I guess, is a place where things like Robin Red Cap live. He lead me to a door with vines that grew all over it. He told me to open it. I tried to, and the vines tore into my arms, and I guess they fed on the blood because they became more lush and bloomed shortly after. But I got the door open.

Inside there was a cage with a sickly version of Red Cap and a small iron maiden. They were all in cold iron. I looked at Red Cap and he told me to free them. In exchange, he would give me some fairy dust. He said if I blew it on a supernatural person, then they wouldn’t be able to use their powers, and would pretty much be mortal. Like me.

Maybe I should’ve thought it through more. Maybe I should’ve listened to the seed of doubt in my stomach. Or the voice of Vincent and Israel and Chantel in my head, all saying what I was doing was wrong. But then I thought of all the things that had happened. The way Vincent would turn to Samael at the first sign of trouble. The way Israel had changed, how he was going to hurt someone again and live to regret it later. Of how messy our lives were.

I opened the cage and the tiny little Red Cap began to weakly crawl towards the one standing behind me. Then he said “The other one” and I turned and opened up the iron maiden. Something vicious and slavering and disgusting came out, grabbed the weakling and smashed both of them into the body of Red Cap.

Suddenly he looked different. He looked alive in a way I hadn’t seen. Brighter, somehow. As though all of him had been restored. A sinking feeling touched my stomach as he handed me the bag of dust he had promised. It glittered slightly, but mostly just looked like grey dust. I didn’t ask where it had come from or how he had gotten it. I didn’t want to know if it was the ground up bones of some ancient fairy. I just wanted to know it worked.

Then we were above ground and he said thanks before he ran off, like a cat hunting in a jungle. I’ll never forget that image. A reborn Red Cap stalking the night. I felt my teeth bite my lip as a moment of fear washed over me before I turned and began to walk back towards the road, hoping to hail a cab and find where my friends were, only to see someone approaching.

The closer he got the more I realized it was that kid from school, Caleb. I barely knew him. But now I knew he was a werewolf. I slid my hand into the bag and readied my first try of this dust. I needed to know it would work before I tried it on Vincent and Ardath. The two spectrums of how I felt: love and hate.

Caleb and I talked briefly, well, mostly I snarled things at him as I walked away. But he kept trying to stop me. Kept trying to ask if I was okay, ask why I ran away. Shit that wasn’t his business. So I turned and blew the dust on him. I could see the anger in him, but I could also see all that raw animalistic energy he normally carried start to fade away. I couldn’t help but smile. It had fucking worked.

Just as he was about to turn and likely yell at me, hands grabbed me and pulled me into an elevator. I saw a blink of Caleb before the doors slid shut. When I turned to see what was going on, standing there with a concerned and fearful expression was Vincent. I felt my hand slide into that bag once more.


No comments:

Post a Comment